Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rebel Yell

thanks to my shiny new Canon Rebel, i can actually keep this lovely space updated! i am very excited to have a place to keep the things that i often lose in my bookmarks folder. i am currently in my third year of my BFA, so you will see lots of arty things that i enjoy, but also style and fashion inspirations as well. basically, a tidy little narrative of my mind :P

this week i went into vancouver on a field trip for one of my classes. we went to the v.a.g. and visited the exhibits and library there, and also got to meet the head librarian. after hitting up a few smaller galleries, we had the amazing opportunity to meet an emerging artist who just completed her MFA. we visited her studio which was very inspiring and helpful because she is only a few years ahead of most of the students in my class.

i totally fell in love with wangechi mutu's pieces at the v.a.g. that day. her layered aesthetic combined with the use of book pages is similar to the way in which i enjoy working. her use of collage is brilliant and makes the pieces very interesting.

Cancer of the Uterus. Wangechi Mutu, 2005.

Complete Prolapsus of the Uterus. Wangechi Mutu, 2004.

Ovarian Cysts. Wangechi Mutu, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment